Monday, June 17, 2013

What Is In A Name?


When I was in college, I took the required speech class that most all college students need to take.  We were asked to choose a topic that we were interested in learning more about and then share what we learned with the class.  I chose to learn about how a person’s name affects them throughout their lifetime.  The title of my speech was, What Is In A Name? 

My research revealed that a name does indeed have a powerful influence upon how a person is treated, even more than I thought.  The name that parents choose for their children can impact their life experiences as to their careers, social acceptance, and even their confidence. However, I did not know then what I know now - that there is a Name that is above all Names - a Name that impacts all facets of a person’s life regardless of the name that parents chose for their children.   I know now that there is a Name that even impacts where a person will spend eternity.  This Name?  It is the Name of Jesus and His Name is far above all powers, rulers and authorities (Ephesians 1:21).

When I became ill - I called upon the Name of Jesus and by His grace, He healed me.

When I became ill a second time, a third time,... - I called upon the Name of Jesus and by His grace, He healed me and mercifully continues to do so.

When I was troubled and I was filled with anxiety - I called upon the Name of Jesus and He gave me peace.

When we wanted more funds than we had – we called upon the Name of Jesus and He showed us that we already had all that we needed and over time He even provided for our wants.

When we were looking for a house to raise our family - we called upon the Name of Jesus and He provided a home in His perfect timing.

When my husband was being held back at work - we called upon the Name of Jesus and He opened up doors of opportunities that have allowed my husband to be at his best.

When our children had fears - we called upon the Name of Jesus and He drew them near to His heart, placed them under His wing and gave them faith in exchange.

What is in HIS Name?  The power to determine your identity, your future, your destiny, your peace and your purpose!

May I encourage you to call upon the Name of Jesus and become or continue to become enraptured with His beauty, His love, His kindness, His strength, His provisions, His compassion, His mercy, His forgiveness, His discipline and His Lordship!  

“Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the Name which is above every name, that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” Philippians 2:9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment