Friday, June 7, 2013

Pull Over

This morning while walking my favorite dog, I saw a person in a Mercedes Benz do something foolish at an intersection.  No longer wanting to wait for the oncoming cars to let her in safely, she took the chance and went into traffic almost causing an accident.  Luckily before she was hit by oncoming traffic, a large truck slammed on his brakes, honked his horn and had a few words to share with her.  Even though the driver of the Mercedes Benz made a mistake, I liked what she did next.  Instead of going on her way rattled and shaken, she decided to pull over to the side of road and sit for while.  I am sure she did this to regroup, to calm down and to get herself together before she went on her way.  After a short while, she safely went into the stream of traffic.


I thought to myself, How many people in life are so busy, so filled with stress by the twists and turns of everyday life, that they are living life rattle, filled with stress and short tempered?  I am sure we have all come across men and women in this state of mind.  Sometimes we can’t help the busyness or stress in our days, but we can take a short break in life by pulling over, thanking God for our life and setting our priorities in order once again.  What does pulling over look like to you?  Maybe it’s finding a comfortable chair and reading a good magazine.  Maybe it’s going out for frozen yogurt.  Maybe it’s calling your girlfriend.   For me, it’s taking time to talk with God and read His Word. 

Do you need to pull over?  Sometimes five minutes is all we need to realize how blessed we really are.

“LORD, make me to know my end, and what is the measure of my days, that I may know how frail I am.  Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my age is as nothing before You; certainly every man at his best state is but vapor.  Surely every man walks about like a shadow; surely they busy themselves in vain; He heaps up riches, and does not know who will gather them.  And now, Lord, what do I wait for? My hope is in You.” Psalm 39:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment