Thursday, June 20, 2013

Finishing Strong


One afternoon, my husband asked me to join him to watch the California State Semifinals Track Meet in Cerritos.  It was late in the afternoon and we did not know if we were going to arrive in time to watch much of the track meet, but we went anyways.  Boy did God have a surprise for us!

When we parked our car and began walking towards the outdoor stadium, we saw that the stands were filled with people.  We “happened” to enter the stadium right where the finish line was.  As soon as I entered the stadium, I saw a group of female runners coming powerfully towards the finish line. I was mesmerized as I saw the focus on the runner’s faces, their perfect running form, the strength that was in their legs and the determination on their faces - I was at the perfect place at the perfect time!  But what happened next is what moved me.  As soon as the first place and second place winners crossed the finish line with power, might and determination, both of them collapsed to the ground in complete exhaustion. As soon as I saw them collapse, I became moved and immediately tears swelled in my eyes. I said to God in my heart, Lord, I want to finish strong for You.  I want to have that same determination that I saw on those runner’s faces.  LORD, should I fall, let me fall on the other side of the finish line.  Let me finish the race you have marked out for me!”

These are the words of the apostle Paul in 2 Timothy 4:7-8, “I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only but also to all who have loved His appearing.” 

FATHER, help us to run with endurance the race that is set before us.  Help us to keep our focus on Jesus who is the author and the finisher of our faith - In Jesus’ Name we pray - Amen. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment