Friday, July 26, 2013

Food For Thought

“Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds, tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.” Deuteronomy 11:18-19

When I was growing up, eating together at the end of the day was very important to my mom. When my husband and I started our family, it was very important to both of us that we always ate together at the end of the day as well. On some occasions, my husband would call me from work and tell me to go ahead and have dinner without him as he was going to work late.  I always responded, “That is okay, we will wait for you.” To this day, one of the joys we have as a family is eating a meal together.

In the book entitled, The Table Experience, by Devi Titus, she states “If home is where our hearts are formed, then the table is where our hearts are connected.” In her book she beautifully states, “Around the table, you will discover each one’s unique gifts, you will experience a dazzling restoration of value worth more than you could ever dream. Each person’s potential begins to be revealed.”
I believe that coming together at the end of the day to share a meal, brings pleasure to God – to the One who established the first family in the Garden of Eden. Whenever we value what God values - this brings pleasure to the LORD.  God values the family!

With everybody’s busy schedule, many times it is a challenge to make the family dinner a priority. However, when you are able to come together, enjoy God’s presence and enjoy the companionship of your loved ones.

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God.” I Corinthians 10:31

Dear FATHER, thank you for designing the family unit. Thank you for designing community. Thank you for the value that you place on each one of us. Thank you for the gift of life and the simple pleasures of enjoying a meal together. May you always be the Guest of Honor at our tables. In Jesus’ Name – Amen.

P.S. Dear friends, due to a speaking commitment that I had made and that I am called to prepare for, I will not be posting to my blog as frequently as I have in the past. However, I will continue to post as the Lord leads me. I look forward to continue to share with you that His mercies are new every morning J

 

No comments:

Post a Comment