Thursday, November 6, 2014

27 Cents!

“This is what the LORD says: ‘Let not the wise boast in their wisdom or the strong boast of their strength or the rich boast of their riches, but let the one who boasts boast about this: that they have the understanding to know me, that I am the LORD, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight.’” Jeremiah 9:23 – 24

Recently my husband and I were driving to an event in Anaheim. As soon as we made our exit off the freeway, my husband pointed to a gas station on the road and said, “Do you see that gas station, I remember when I needed gas in my car to return home from work, I stopped at that gas station but all I had in my pocket was 27 cents.  I pumped only 27 cents in my tank and trusted God to get me home.”

This was a time in our married life when my husband was recently laid off from his job and had to take a new job, which paid considerably less than what our family was used to enjoying. The car that he was driving was a 77 Ford Thunderbird! It was beautiful when it was new I am sure, but by the time it was in our hands, the car was old, a gas-guzzler and on it’s last leg.  Many times the car left us stranded in the middle of intersections – but we always returned home :).

During those times, God taught us so many valuable lessons that we treasure today and are grateful for. He taught us that He always will provide for our needs.  He taught us to rely on Him alone during any season in our lives. He taught us that our provider is not a company or an inheritance or a degree or a bank account or a retirement account  - but our provider is God Almighty. He taught us that no matter what we may encounter, God’s promises and His Word trumps any other thought, idea, book or intelligence!

”...That He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the LORD.” Deuteronomy 8:3

Since that time, the Lord has blessed us with a job that provides more than our needs. Believe it or not, the job also includes new cars every year. Why am I sharing this with you? To boast in the God of the Bible! To encourage any weary heart! To remind us all that we have a merciful God who cares for our every need!

Do you have a need today? He is the Great I AM – He is your Provider!

Do you need His kindness today? He is the One who exercises Kindness!

Do you need justice today? He is the One who exercises Justice!

Is there something in your life that is wrong and needs to be made right? He is the One who exercises Righteousness on earth!

“People tend to admire four qualities in others: human wisdom, power, kindness, and riches. But God puts a higher priority on knowing Him personally and living a life that reflects His justice, righteousness, and love. What do you want people to admire most about you?” commentary

We are very thankful for the company that God has used to provide for our family - very thankful! However, we do not know how long the job my husband currently has, going on 14 years now, will last. All we know is that the job will last as long as God wills it. Our hope is not in a job, our hope is on the promises of God's Word; God will never leave us or forsake us! (Hebrews 13:5)

Do you know Him personally?  If you do, I boast with you that He is the God who exercises loving-kindness, justice and righteousness upon the earth!

Do you desire to know Him personally? Draw close to God through Jesus Christ today and He will draw close to you! (James 4:8)





No comments:

Post a Comment