Thursday, September 4, 2014

Cling

“…Choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; that you may love the LORD your God, that you may obey His voice, and that you may cling to Him, for He is your life and the length of your days….” Deuteronomy 30:19

Today I turned 50 years old – what a gift from God to be able to say that!  How wonderful that Deuteronomy 30:19 was in my devotional reading today! We are exhorted to cling to God for He is our life and the length of our days!

For all intended purposes, I should not be here today writing this blog. For you see, approximately five years ago I had a stroke in an area of my brain that controlled all of my life functions. But thanks be to my Lord, I have been able to enjoy an additional five years with my husband, my daughters, my parents and my dear friends! Everyday since then, my eyes have been opened to how quickly life can be taken. I have learned to cling to God, as He is my life and the length of my days. I do not take one minute, one hour, or one day for granted.

In Psalm 90:12, Moses, the man of God prayed a prayer. He prayed, “So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.”

“What Moses needed was a new understanding of the meaning of his own life. To number our days is more than just having a sense of mortality; it means valuing the time we do have by using it for eternal purposes.” Commentary

I no longer worry about when He will call me home; instead I value the time that He has given me here on this earth.  My greatest desire is to live a life that loves my Lord, that obeys His voice and that clings to Him for everything!

You do not have to experience a life-changing event like a stroke in order to value the time God has given you here on earth. All you need to do to value your life is to listen for His voice, obey His instructions and clinnnnnng to the ONE who is your SOURCE of joy, love, mercy, forgiveness, help, grace and life!

"You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it." Psalm 139:5-6



                         

No comments:

Post a Comment