Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Peace Through Discipline!

“No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” Hebrews 12:11

Recently, I saw the beauty of discipline come to fruition.  Last night I went to my daughter’s basketball game and I recognized a new player on the court. Years ago, at a local YMCA, I use to watch a young girl being trained in the game of basketball by her father. I saw her father train her rigorously and consistently. I also saw this young girl cry, get frustrated and even get injured during her games.

Years have gone by since I have visited the YMCA but last night at my daughter’s high school summer basketball league, I saw this now young lady for the first time in many years. As I saw her play the game, I was able to see the fruit of all her father’s training in her life. All I can say is, “WOW!” The way she played the game was like no other on the court – even though she was one of the youngest! The way she moved with confidence on the court and the skill that I saw in her were inspiring! I could not help but think back to the times when I saw her endure hardship, cry and get frustrated while being trained so intensely by her father.  The fruit of discipline never looked so beautiful and the scripture above in Hebrews came ringing in my mind!

“God is not only a disciplining parent but also a demanding coach who pushes us to our limits and requires our lives to be disciplined. Although we may not feel strong enough to push onto victory, we will be able to accomplish it as we follow Christ and draw on His strength. Then we can use our growing strength to help those around us who are weak and struggling.” Commentary

The Bible says in Hebrews 12:7-10, “Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as His children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? If you are not disciplined – and everyone undergoes discipline – then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in His holiness.”

“Who loves his child more - the father who allows the child to do what will harm him, or the one who corrects, trains, and even punishes the child to help him learn what is right? It’s never pleasant to be corrected and disciplined by God, but His discipline is a sign of his deep love for us. When God corrects you, see it as proof of His love and ask Him what He is trying to teach you.” Commentary

FATHER, thank you for loving us so deeply that you take the time to teach us what is right. Thank you that You discipline us for our good in order that we may share in Your holiness.  Who are we that we may share in Your holiness? Thank you for Your loving Hand upon our lives.  Father, do whatever you feel is best in our life so that we can be all that You call us to be! Thank you again for when you teach and correct us and we endure it, it is for our good! In Jesus' Name - Amen.

“My son, do not make light of the Lord’s discipline, and do not lose heart when He rebukes you, because the Lord discipline the one He loves, and He chastens everyone He accepts as His son.” Hebrews 12:5b-6


No comments:

Post a Comment