Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Indescribable Gratefulness!


“Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 2 Thessalonians 5:16-18

This past weekend, a reoccurring theme kept surfacing – gratefulness. On three different occasions, three different people talked about how important it is to be grateful and thankful in all things. 

At the end of our weekend, I told my husband that I believe God is reminding us of the power of a grateful heart!  In 2 Thessalonians 5:16 it says, “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

As a result, I made a conscience effort to begin every day with a grateful heart. I had forgotten of the gift that keeps giving when we put into practice the discipline of a thankful heart. 

As I began my day, I thanked God for everything that I normally took for granted. I believe the LORD supernaturally opened my eyes to see things in my life in a new way! Things in my life did not change but the way I saw life did. With every thankful expression I made, the LORD filled my heart with an indescribable joy. I saw beauty in my husband, my children, my home, my garden, the purple blossoms in the trees that line our street, the clouds, the birds, the flowers, the skyline, the breeze, my friendships, and the serene lake I walk around everyday. All day I kept saying, “Lord, why do you love me so much, thank you for the good that you give me everyday that I do not always thank you for.”

Don’t let your enemy point out all the wrong and all the things you do not have in your life. Instead, begin today asking God to open up your eyes to see all the good that He has brought into your life! It is impossible to be down trodden, discouraged, cynical, bitter or filled with self-pity when you have a grateful and thankful heart!

“The Bible does not teach that we should thank God for everything that happens to us, but in everything. Evil does not come from God, so we should not thank Him for it. But when evil strikes, we can still be thankful for God’s presence and for the good that He will accomplish through it.” Commentary

Often it goes against our natural inclinations to be thankful, but if we obey God as the scriptures exhort, we will begin to see our life in a brand new perspective. Don’t let another minute go by, begin living life to the fullest as you open up your mouth and give the praise to the God from whom all blessings flow!

"This is the day the LORD has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24

"From His abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another." John 1:16 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment