Tuesday, January 14, 2014

The Other, Larger, Stronger, Quieter Life


This morning I had a choice. My husband rose early in the morning to attend a meeting and he left the home while the sun had not yet shined through my bedroom windows and the house was quiet. Still in bed, I turned over and nestled onto my soft pillow. My mind thought about the day that was ahead of me and all that I wanted to accomplish: People to call, cards to write and appointments that I needed to keep. Then another thought came to my mind, "When will I meet with God to hear His voice through His Word during my busy day?"

I would like to share a small portion from my book, A Stroke of Love, that expresses what it means to have it backward:

"Knowing God's will sounds pretty simple and straightforward, but we frequently have it backward. Simply put, we want more than anything to please God and to walk in His perfect will, but often the last thing we have time and energy for is that still, quiet discipline of opening God's Word each day.

C. S. Lewis said it best: "The moment you wake up each morning, all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in."

Can you understand exactly what I was feeling this morning? Have you ever felt tempted to put your agenda for the day first before seeking God? Does C. S. Lewis' words ring true for you as you wake up each morning?

By God's grace, He helped me choose that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in. When I opened up God's Word early in the morning, the Son of God shined upon the pages and my heart melted as I read His Words. My will was once again submitted to His plan for my life. I began my day knowing and feeling a great sense of accomplishment and satisfaction - not because everything on my list was checked off but because I spent time with my Father and He welcomed me with His warm and tender arms.

Dear friends, may I encourage you to not have it backwards? Shove all of it back and listen to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that other, larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in!




No comments:

Post a Comment