Wednesday, December 11, 2013

And All These Things...

"Do you hear what these children are saying?" they asked him. "Yes," replied Jesus, “have you never read, "'From the lips of children and infants you, Lord, have called forth your praise'?" Matthew 21:16

Today I was having a conversation with a dear friend of mine. She shared with me that her granddaughter's elementary school teacher asked the class to draw a picture that would represent what Christmas means to them. One of the parents, who volunteered to help in the class, noticed that all the children began to draw beautiful pictures of Christmas trees and gifts. However, the parent volunteer also noticed that my friend's granddaughter was the only one who drew a picture of a nativity scene.

I love Christmas trees. I love seeing all the presents wrapped under the tree - gifts meant to bring happiness and blessings to others. Giving gifts is a special way that we can communicate our love and emotions to others. But sometimes, Christmas trees, gifts and all these things..., can mask the true reason of Christmas. Sometimes this happens to me more often than I would like to admit. What a gentle and powerful reminder my friend’s young granddaughter made when her little hands drew what her big heart was filled with. Christmas is a time that we should remember God's greatest gift - Jesus Christ - for He is the reason for the season.

"And a child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6

 

No comments:

Post a Comment